Diane Keaton Forum

Who is Sybill?, back to TFS

« Older   Newer »
Olya from Ukraine
icon4  view post Posted on 1/9/2006, 12:47

Hello everybody!! Yesterdays' chat with Floppy made me ask this question to you, gyes. Are you really thinking that Diane's character is witch for SJP's character? I know that Flo thinks that Sybill is terrible mother-in-low for Meredith image , but me - I really couldn't get WHY they called Sybill's behaviour hard or so...People, could you know WHAT IS IT awful mother-in-low. I don't think mine is the worst, but believe me, she's much worse then Sybill. I'd like to have Sybill as my mom-in-low. I think we'll become good pals ;) She has good sense of humour I think! :D And Meredith has really odd and weird way of expressing herself image . I must confess, I can't stand such people in real-life :sick: So what do ya think? How many of you think, that Sybill is witch for Meredith? And how many think like me?

P.S. Pao, plzzzz! image I don't know how to add here a poll!! Can you help?? :wub:

aggieam01
view post Posted on 10/9/2006, 21:53

This is a good question. I think that Sybil just knows that Meredith is wrong for Everett. Maybe if her condition were different, she would be more tolerant of Meredith, but at this point...she just doesn't want to waste time. She has an opinion, a feeling, and wants to make sure that it is said...because she KNOWS Everett.

That being said, how wonderful would it be to have Sybil as your mother in law! As long as you can dish it back to her, you would get along great! image

Naná_"Keaton"
view post Posted on 12/9/2006, 22:28

Girls...
I think that Sybill is a witch for Meredith. But she had reasons enough to be like that.
I know that cause I kinda did it once (don't think I'm not ashamed of myself...I'm a mean, mean girl <_< )with my ex-almost-brother-in-law. My sister was about to marry this guy, but we all, in the family knew that we wasn't the right pearson for her, so, what we did: DISTURB AS MUCH AS WE COULD. That was not a very good thing, but it worked. So, I think Sybill saw her last chance to make her son happy, and TOOK IT(but, yes, she had to be a witch to accomplish that).

Just to close this point i'm trying to make, i think this situation really fits in a song I love, called "cruel to be kind", that says:
"you gotta be
Cruel to be kind, in the right measure
Cruel to be kind, it's a very good sign
Cruel to be kind, means that I love you..."

She did everything for their own good. that's what I think ;)

Hugs, Naná

heather
view post Posted on 15/9/2006, 07:20

I have to agree, whole heartedly, with "aggieam01." (Sorry I don't know your name....)
As a mother, you want the best for your children, and for the Sybil character, that mother instinct is hightened by her illness. She doesn't want to leave, knowing that her son is going to make such a life altering choice, and most importantly, she doesn't want to watch it take place while she's still has the opportunity and power to change it. There's a conflict between lifestyles and mannerisums between the Meredith character and the Sybil character that work beautifully towards building up that tension in the story. I loved it, and eventually, when Sybil finally got through to her son, she lightened up, alot.

Woo...I could go on all day. I love that movie, and yes, I cried several times, everytime. :P

Christel1982
view post Posted on 23/9/2006, 01:53

I also don't think Sybill is a witch towards Meredith. She just wants what's best for her son. She maybe could have brought it in a nicer way, but because she hasn't got much time, i just can't help but forgive her... She means well, also for Meredith eventually, because she just knows that the two of them (Everett and Meredith) will make eachother unhappy in time. She also knows that she isn't going to be there by then, to help her son pick up the pieces, so i think she also "panics" a little bit, which also causes her to behave towards Meredith like the way she does...

I like the "Sybill" character, because she seems like a very loving mother and person to me. She just goes a little "over the top" because of her illness. But she means it very well i think!

Squidge
view post Posted on 30/6/2009, 21:52

Sybil's my favourite:
I want her as my mother...

5 replies since 1/9/2006, 12:47   275 views